Ate with Quinn's family Thursday evening. His mother slid open the door and received me with a hug about a foot lower than the usual breast-level I'm used to. It must have been the imitation square-toed dress shoes I happened upon wearing; they give me good posture, makes it harder to slouch. Either because of their shape—my feet have annoyingly high arches that give my entire skeleton chaos, probably my recent jaw problems included. Or because I feel confident in them, as opposed to the worn out imitation "bowling shoes" (my grandmother calls them) I get from Target. We were all around the table, and I didn't say much, because the first thing queued in my vocal cords was, "Is this pork?" And I didn't think it would be polite if I actually had to ask what kind of meat it was that she made. Then, the four of them were talking about mentally ill family members, and then Quinn's father's grandfather's noble attitude. Then, they went around the table, each performing what appeared to be one of a rehearsed series of monologues about how they each inherited this feeling of superiority from a young age. Quinn's father said, "I think it's because we really are descendants of nobility." I really wanted to say, "Man. I've always felt like such a dummy, from day one." Then, Quinn's mother, not at all related to the noble grandfather, threw up her hands and shrieked out: "I don't wanna sound arrogant or anything, but I think this family is pretty darn smart! You know, compared with the average person." Then she served a platter of confections and cookies shaped like trees, except some were propped upright on others. And they called it a "cookie forest." I ate three trees and two stars.
A friend of mine, Sean, was on an episode of the MTV show "Parental Control" last night. He was one of the guys the parents sift through before choosing their own picks for their son's new replacement boyfriend. It startles me that it didn't startle me to see a familiar face on tv. Has "reality" finally been removed from my mental awareness? Both of the selected guys were hot, in my opinion, as well as the incumbent boyfriend. Is there a type of guy that specifically attracts gay men? I feel funny fitting a demographic so snugly. Anyways, seeing gay people dating is really really weird. Even though I seem to experience it pretty often. I have never watched two guys on a date before. I wish my dates went like their dates. I think "ElimiDate" is a more accurate depiction of my dating life. Or maybe that nun with the daily tv show, "Sister Angelica." Did that make any sense? I guess I just mean they're boring dates. And they're always wearing veils that fill my peripheral vision. I think I tend to get to know the person on the internet before I meet them (in fear that they'll be horrible) well enough that I never really end up having blind dates. Maybe I should, just to be fun. Okay, next random cute fellow I'll make no hesitations, as soon as I return to LA. My father just served me turkey sausages and tangerine slices fried in a canned tomato stew.
My father: (walks into computer room) Whacha doin?
Me: (turns around in spinning chair) Just having a humble online conversation. You eaten dinner?
My father: Uh... Yeah.
My father: I've gotta get going. I'm late for coffee.
Me: Daddy, it's 8.30 pm.
My father: (looks at me blankly)
Me: Look outside. It's dark. And I'm actually awake.
My father: This is 8.30 in the evening?
My father: Is this Friday or Saturday?
Me: It's Friday.
My father: No kiddin.
My father: I musta slept.
My father: How could I sleep so long?
My father: If this isn't the morning, what do I do now? I was planning to have a morning.
Saturday, December 23, 2006
elitist supper, gay dating and my father.
Posted by
Stephen van Dyck
at
3:54 AM
Categories: meeting people from the internet, my father, new mexico, reality tv revelations
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment