Monday, November 06, 2006

bay area weekend.

Spent the weekend in San Francisco/Silicon Valley. Alex Castle and I arrived at night but weren't tired, so we wrought havoc on Stanford. I saw a guy peeing and yelled "Heeeyyy!" and then he yelled back "Fuck you!" As he said that, I could see his penis. Then, we tried stealing a massive bundle of balloons to no luck. Saturday we picked up Tod on a streetcorner near Mission and 16th around two in the afternoon. We pulled into a gas station listening to "Natural Born Killers" by Dr. Dre; during the beginning of the song some guy is cussing something fierce, "fuck you bitch ass motherfuckers." As we were listening to that, we could see (but not hear) an irate black man yelling at an attendant; it really seemed like he was lipsyncking the lyrics. Went to SFMoma; my favorites were: Shizuka Yokomizo—takes photographs of strangers through the windows of their houses; by deciding where to stand behind their windows, it's like they're framing themselves. I like photographing strangers, too, so it was interesting to see what restrictions she made. She selects addresses and then writes an anonymous letter to each asking if the recipient would stand at a particular window, alone, with the room lights on, at a specific time of night so that she may photograph them from the street. Nigel Poor—scans people's fingerprints and then enlarges them to enormous sizes, like abstract paintings, and he tells you their name, age and occupation. A construction worker had a wrinkly fingerprint, while a curator lady had barely any deviation. I wish I could have been at the museum when the artist was taking visitors' fingerprints.



Renewed desire to photograph strangers after leaving the museum.

On the way back from the Bay area, we stopped in Gilroy, the garlic capital of the world.



Tod peeing, tires and sunset.



Truck coming.



Garlic shopper.

No comments: